Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Don't Felt the Dog



Y'know, checking gauge just might be important after all. This is supposed to be a small bag for carrying a paperback, keys, and a wallet. What I have here is a bag big enough to stuff half a Golden Retriever in. Finished measurements are 13" x 9 1/2" x 3 1/2", down from 16" x 11" x 4" before felting.

Other than the size issue, I'm happy with the bag. It calls for stuffed I-cord handles and a tab closure held by buttons on both sides. I'm sure I'd lose that tab, so I'm thinking about other ways to fasten it. A lining is definitely called for, as the top edge flared a lot in the washer. I pinned that sucker down like crazy while it blocked, but it'll need help to keep its shape. A nonstretchy lining should do it, as the felted fabric is quite sturdy otherwise. Making a lining will also give me the opportunity to add lots of little pockets for the cell phone, notepad, and pencils.

As happy as I am with the bag, I may end up giving it to my mom and making a smaller one, a true paperback rider instead of Golden Retriever tote.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Felting is always a bit of a crap shoot, but it looks good! The colours seem to blend more. And that is one beautiful dog - I have a golden retriever too.
It's funny that you're thinking of giving the finished bag to your mom. My mom ends up with a lot of my test projects, and of course, being a mom, thinks they're wonderful

futuregirl said...

I check gauge, but I still never seem to get it *just* right. Though, your bag is more than a little off - your bag is suffering from gigantism! Your post is hilarious. When I saw the picture, I thought maybe it was just a gratuitous pet photo. But now that you mention it, you *could* fit half your Golden Retriever in there. :)