Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Mmm Mmm Good. Sort of.


After reading selections from Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food and The Omnivore's Dilemma, a new fervor for mostly-vegetarian cooking has assailed me. Helped along by the surprise gift of How To Cook Everything Vegetarian from my mom (thanks, Mom!!) I've had lots of fun planning out menus and serving simple, fresh, and delicious meals.

Well, not always simple. Yesterday I made homemade tomato soup. It sounds easy, but let me tell you, any soup recipe that involves roasting and straining and food processing in addition to stove-top cooking is not a simple recipe to me. And the clean-up was daunting for a simple bowl of soup. (Note: I probably used more pans than called for because I'm a lousy cook.) 

The result? It was . . . okay. Kinda like straight tomato sauce.  (Additional note: I should probably not expect gourmet taste from store-brand ingredients.)

It was perfectly good soup. It tasted like tomatoes. And I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that I prefer the taste of Campbell's. To be perfectly fair, I should make the recipe again, using high-quality ingredients. But I'm not going to, at least not right now. One can, one pot, and one bowl. That's awfully hard to argue with.

3 comments:

LLA said...

I've got to admit that I love plain old Campbell's tomato bisque. Make it with one can of milk in lieu of the water, and dump in a little basil or dill (whichever you happen to have on hand)??? That's some good stuff there.
(And back when the Scheckster was a toddler, and I had a "Mommy's Group" that met for lunch a few times a month - I served it. And got compliments. And looks of disbelief when I said it was just Campbell's!)

Lysnekate said...

I like to add some tomato bits to my Campbell's. and some basil.

Good for you! I have a couple of veggie cookbooks you could have - wanna come over on Wed? I need to clean out my guest room/craft room so my mom can sleep there. I'll give you goodies! (Veggie cookbooks, yarn...)

~Lysne

Anonymous said...

I think I know the absolutely necessary perfect ingredient to make this recipe superlative: just picked from your own plants RIPE TOMATOES!